Thursday, December 27, 2007

BlogStalk: Fave invention of the 20th Century

When I saw this topic come up, my mind immediately went to cell phones and digital cameras. I use them every day and they are an intrinsic part of my life, but I would adapt to life without them. Humans are amazing in their ability to adapt to their situations. So I know I could live without cell phones and digital cameras.

Wanna know what I've decided I can't live without?



My old kitchen aid stand mixer. It was my Christmas present from the husband and I've only used it once. But I made a double batch of bread last night in 20 minutes (it's rising slowly in the fridge all day). That batch of bread normally takes me about 40 minutes to knead by hand, not to mention the time for shaping and mixing and trying to get it the right consistency. It's a K5A, so it doesn't have the same speed control as the newer ones, and it doesn't have the hokey plastic gear casing that the newer ones do. It's pure metal and weighs in at 31 pounds! And I'm in love. I don't think we'll be buying bread anymore. This is just way too easy and fun. I think I'm in love.

The other thing I'm very thankful for? Pain meds. I'm not entirely sure what I did to my back, but I aggravated a many year old back injury in the last few days and I can't hardly move. It's very difficult to dress when you can barely reach your feet without crying. So I'm popping pills every 4 - 5 hours and hoping it loosens up in the next couple of days. I may be spending all weekend in bed, though it was amazingly sore and stiff when I got up this morning, 10 times worse than when I went to bed. It's nearly as painful as when I first injured it, normally my flair ups are at about half the original pain. I think I really messed it up this time around. So if it's not remarkably better by Monday, I'm headed to the walk-in clinic to see if I can get the big girl drugs. For now, It's naproxen sodium, very careful bending, and homemade bread.

2 comments:

Knits in Church said...

Hope your back pain is much better by now. And out of curiousity, did a certain Rev. Buisman have anything to do with the original injury? ;)
Prayers,
Naomi

Jessica said...

Unfortunately, yes. I re-aggrivate it about once a year. This time it was much worse than normal though, I did something extremely stupid that we won't go into and it ended up just about as painful as the first time. Back pain is much better, still a little stiff and not back to full range of motion, but better. Thanks!