Thursday, September 13, 2007

Oatmeal Cookies

So... I have no photos of knitting because life is crazy. I'm back to full time at work so my mornings aren't my own any more. That means no early morning time for photos and blogging. And since we're FINALLY coming into fall (though you wouldn't know it from the daytime highs), the evenings are too shady to get good pictures.

So since I have no photos or interesting knitting stories, because my life is work for the next 6-8 months, you get my cookie recipe! I make these as snacks in the afternoon. Occasionally Steven will eat them for breakfast. They are incredibly filling. A little high in sugar to be "health food," but fairly healthy outside of that.

Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups Brown Sugar (I usually use 1 cup brown and 1/2 cup white, you could also trade out that half a cup with molasses to add some iron to the cookies, or maple syrup, or honey, or... well, you get the idea!)
  • 2 1/2 cups Oatmeal (not quick, just rolled)
  • 4 cups Flour (I use 3 whole wheat and 1 AP white)
  • 1 Tbs Baking Soda
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1-3 Tbs Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp Nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup Canola Oil
  • 3 eggs or equivalent egg substitute
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1-2 cups assorted dried fruit and nuts
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
  2. Mix the dry ingredients, minus the fruit and nuts, until well blended. Stir in the wet ingredients then fold in the fruit and nuts.
  3. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, measure out the cookies and flatten onto a baking sheet. These cookies won't spread much in the oven, so flatten to about 1/2 inch thick.
  4. Bake 10 - 12 minutes, until set.
  5. Let cool 5 minutes on the sheets then transfer to a cooling rack. Cool completely before storing.
  6. These cookies keep about a week on the counter, sealed tightly. But they freeze beautifully! I tend to keep them individually packaged in the freezer for when I need them. They thaw in about 2 hours on the counter.

No comments: