Sunday, August 26, 2007

I have created a salsa I could eat with a spoon...

And yes, the girl who hates tomatoes really did type that! This stuff is so yummy. Even fresh out of the food processor, it's amazing. I think I've found tomato love...

Roasted Salsa

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs tomatoes - I used fresh early girl and yellow plum from the garden, about 6 early girls and a handful or two of the plums. I'm guessing it's around 2 lbs.
  • 4 cloves garlic, skin on
  • 1 medium sweet onion, roughly chopped
  • 5 chipotle chilies in sauce - adjust up or down for your own heat level
  • juice of 2 limes - add another if your limes are small, hard, or you really like lime
  • Salt to taste
  • Cilantro to taste - I didn't have any, so mine is without, but it would be great with
Directions:
  1. Under a high broiler, broil the tomatoes and garlic in a lightly oiled glass pan. This took about 20 minutes in my oven, just broil until the skin is turning dark and crispy.
  2. In a food processor, combine the chilies, lime juice, onion, and roasted veggies. Take off the garlic skins before adding. I also squeezed out about half of the seeds & juice in my tomatoes. It still made a pretty loose salsa, so if you like chunkier, squeeze out even more juice. Pulse to combine. If adding cilantro, add after the tomatoes and onions start to break down. Taste & add salt accordingly. Store bought tomatoes might also need some sugar added, though the broiling should bring out the natural sugars quite nicely.
  3. Let cool and enjoy! You can use this hot, but the cooling time will bring the flavors together nicely.

No comments: